Saturday, November 3, 2012

False Advertising and a Little Luck

We started off with an estate sale ad that sounded so interesting, "lots of vintage, sale starts Saturday 7 am". So imagine my excitement when we got to the location at 6:30 and they were already open. Now imagine my disappointment when the seller said "Oh, we had a pre-sale yesterday and most of the vintage items were sold." Nowhere in the ad did it mention a pre-sale. That was a waste of gasoline.

We walked away empty-handed from a couple more sales until we finally found an estate sale with some interesting items.

My favorite find is this Fiesta pitcher in Seamist. This color matches so many of my other kitschy kitchen items that I will have at the sale next weekend.
We also found this glass rolling pin. It was designed to be filled with ice water so it kept the dough cool and less sticky while it was rolled out.
I found this Penguin Hot/Cold Server hidden away on a top shelf. This is a very nice one with Bakelite handles.
I also found was a small tin filled with buttons. The best part was finding a beautiful Czech Glass button when I first opened the lid.
The last item I found was a bit of good luck. The seller had a large pile of new old-stock Tupperware because his mother had been a sales associate back in the 80s. To my great joy I found an unused lid to match my old 80s Tupperware container. My original lid had finally cracked beyond recognition earlier this year but I refused to throw out the bottom. I felt a bit like a Hoarder keeping the bottom without the lid. But now this is just another example of how Thrifting can make things useful again and save money.

I hope everyone had a great day thrifting. And if you are in the Los Angeles/Orange County area next Saturday, November 10, please stop by the Vintage Holiday Warehouse Sale in Fullerton, CA. The information is here if you would like to R.s.v.p. but it isn't required so you can just stop by and say hello. I plan to have a lot of my vintage treasures available plus a few surprises.

5 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...