Saturday, January 26, 2013

Weatherproof Thrifting

We woke to a wet, soggy morning. This kind of put a damper on my garage sale agenda so we switched to Plan B: Indoor Rummage Sales.

My favorite find was another Princess phone. I love the look of these and this one works perfectly. Yes, yes, yes... I will get this and my other phone in my store as soon as possible.
We found some industrial, metal, library card catalog file drawers in great condition. Plus we got a wall file unit. This would make a cool, industrial / retro magazine rack.
And now for a little bit of Japanese trivia. My mother had a few old Japanese Kamakura Lacquerware pieces so I grew up handling these every time they needed dusting. I know how they feel compared to modern plastic reproductions. So when I found these two tea trays at an estate sale I felt a need to rescue them. Kamakura is an area in Japan where these carved lacquer pieces are made. If you've ever seen photos of the Giant Buddha statue sitting outside then that is from the Kamakura area. I don't know much about Kamakuraware but I do know that these are carved wood. The whisk in this photo is actually a Tea Whisk used in Japanese tea ceremonies.
Hope everyone had a great day of thrifting.

Honored to be Featured at:


This is linked to:
Brambleberry CottageCoastal Charm, Common GroundFrom My Front Porch to YoursHey What's For Dinner Mom?, It's a Very Cherry WorldMod Vintage Life, Savvy Southern StyleSir Thrift a Lot, Stylish Once Again, The Colorado Lady and The Thrifty Groove

7 comments:

  1. I am in Southern CA as well, and I was so sad to wake up to soggy weather this morning too!

    Great finds though! I was skunked and came out with nothing!

    Smiles,
    The Joyful Thrifter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Love that princess phone. I have an old turquoise rotary phone & it is so loud I had to put it upstairs. It scared me half to death every time it rang:-)

    Happy Rednesday,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing at my party...LOVE that blue phone:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. That phone is fabulous! Makes me wish we still had a landline!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the phone, I had a yellow one like that as a teenager. Wish I had it back! thanks for sharing at Restyled Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! I love the old file drawers. I am always looking for those kinds of things. Thank you for sharing at TTF.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...