Monday, October 17, 2011

Beach Retreat Bathroom Reveal

Although not completely finished {due to my attempts to find just the right thrifted material to complete the towel rack} I am revealing the results of my Beach Retreat bathroom remodel.

First let me describe how my bathroom looked for many years prior to this remodel. It was small {still is} and without windows. There was a builder's grade shower/tub surround on one side. The previous owners had country blue wallpaper with small flowers on all walls. There was very little storage with a linen closet right outside the door. It was dark and boring and in need of updating.

Here is what it looks like now. The walls are a creamy white with bright white vinyl beadboard and the tiles are shades of sandy white. The accent colors are pale teal with a contrasting dark vanity and counter.

The old mirror is thrifted which I painted white and sanded. The silver on the back is missing in some places but the glass is beveled and the shape is so beautiful that I can overlook some flaws. I added glass knobs to the vanity.

I created the soap dispenser out of an old thrifted teal Ball jar. I bought a travel pump dispenser from the Container Store, punched a hole in the top of the Ball jar lid and hot glued the pump to the top of the lid.

I had a small wooden suitcase {although it was thrifted, I don't think it is old}. Because it was made of wood, it was the perfect solution to use as a small shelf. I removed the hinge and screwed the back of the suitcase bottom to the wall. The suitcase lid just sits on top and is held in place by the latches. I can store small items inside as well as use the top as a towel shelf.

Because the bathroom is so small, Dear Handyman tiled the floor and the shower with the same tiles to trick the eye into seeing one larger room.

Because there is no frame around the shower glass the entire room appears larger. Notice the glass block window, Dear Handyman added that to allow some natural light into the bathroom. On the other side of the window is the landing at the top of the stairs.

Before, there was very little storage space inside of the bathroom. Dear Handyman removed the linen closet in the hallway and added storage inside the bathroom. I am going to decorate with more sea shells, coral and silver. I added some of the teal glass bottles on a silver tray.

The only thing I need to create is the towel rack. I am on the search for the right materials and will share my project at a later date. UPDATE: I have completed the towel rack. Click here to see the completed project.

Now I have a really nice Beach Retreat bathroom that I totally enjoy. Dear Handyman did such an awesome job. A few years ago he remodeled my kitchen which is even more amazing than this bathroom. I will share photos of that remodel soon.

Thrilled to be featured at:


Featured at Truly Lovely
This is linked to:
504 Main, A Little Knick Knack, Between Naps on the PorchBeyond the Picket Fence, Brambleberry Cottage, Cherished TreasuresChic on a Shoestring DecoratingCoastal Charm, Common Ground, Craft EnvyDesigner Garden, FaveCraftsFinding Fabulous, French Country CottageFrugalicious Me, Funky Junk Interiors, Glitter Glue and PaintHomemaker on a DimeI {heart} NaptimeLife Made Lovely, Lovely Crafty HomeMaking the World Cuter, Mod Vintage Life, My Romantic HomeMy Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaRunning With GlitterSew Can Do, Simply DesigningSinging Three Little BirdsSkip to My Lou, Someday Crafts, Somewhat SimpleSugar Bee CraftsSumos Sweet Stuff, Tales From Bloggeritaville, Tatertots and JelloThe 36th Avenue, The Colorado Lady, The DIY ShowoffThe Shabby Creek Cottage, The Shabby Nest The Southern Institute, The Thrifty GrooveThe Thrifty Home, Thrifty Decorating, Truly Lovely, Under the Table and DreamingVery Merry Vintage StyleVintage Wanna Bee and What Allie's Making Now

48 comments:

  1. Beautiful & I just love the shelf !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful space...and the suitcase shelf is genius.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAUW!!!!!!!! It looks awesome!!!

    The suitcase-shelf is so cool(!!!) And the shape of the mirror is really beautiful!

    I want to make a similar soap dispenser. Love it!

    You are SO GOOD at this, Lynda!

    Rainy greetings from Denmark... *SMILE*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The suitcase shelf is lovely and the storage is brilliant. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! can i take it and put it in my house?
    I'm a new follower! i would Love if you followed me back!
    www.sewfantastic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it! and that dear handyman is one fab guy. aren't you lucky?

    visiting from my uncommon slice...
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. first of all, your bathroom is FABULOUS! i love the new vanity and the tiles and the colors. that suitcase shelf is genius-totally works in here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen this done but I absolutely love it! (new follower here!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the suitcase as a shelf. I think I want that in my bathroom. The redo looks great. Am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The suitcase shelf is pure brilliance! I must try that. I just ordered vintage suitcases to paint and make a table.... but this is worth reconsidering! :)
    Pinning this!

    ~ Meredith From A Mother Seeking Come find me on my blog, A Mother Seeking...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks AMAZING!!!! So cool!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that floating shelf! Thanks so much for linking up with Creative Me Monday today... so glad that you did!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  13. That shelf is genius! LOVE LOVE LOVE the bathroom and all the touches, especially the Ball jar dispenser.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the shelf, what a great bathroom redo! Laura, Cottage and Broome

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an adorable bathroom! Love all of the time and attention given to details and the suitcase shelf is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love it!!! Such a great idea! Became I follower so I can keep up on your other great ideas.

    You'll have to check my blog out sometime when you get a chance.


    Melissa
    http://redflycreations.blospot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Be still my heart...this is FABULOUS!!! Pure genius!

    Deborah (visiting happily from http://upcyclingmylife.blogspot.com…hope you might take a minute to stop by and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your new bathroom is gorgeous...I love the suitcase you used for a shelf! Thanks for sharing :)
    Big hugs,
    Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  20. The suitcase shelf is PHENOMENAL! Holy cow I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE everything about this room and would love to feature it next week on Thrifty Thursday! :) Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that suitcase as a shelf!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is an awesome transformation of the bathroom. I like all your ideas and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the bathroom!!! I especially love the suitcase shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an adorable bathroom, it is!! Also you given a best attention on its details, which is awesome and really too much beneficial for my one of the facebook 's friend 's new home.
    outdoor rubber mats

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am featuring you tomorrow during sticker time... I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great redo! Lots of fun thrifty inspiration! Thank you for being part of TTF and have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your bathroom is wonderful! I love the soap dispenser and suitcase shelf. so original and creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's so beautiful! Are you kidding?? A suitcase!?! Amazing! I love the result! Very creative and very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I featured this today on Mod Mix Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You are awesome1 I featured you today, come grab a button.

    Kim @ Too Much Time

    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/10/good-morning-sunshine_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the suitcase shelf! I'm actually working on a drawer shelf project. Hope mine turns out as cute as yours! Saw you over at Mod Mix Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely gorgeous!! So much so we featured you today from the Fancy This Fridays link up!! :) http://www.trulylovelyblog.com/2011/10/fancy-this-features-47.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. So creative! Looks great! I would be delighted for you to link this or one of your other creative posts to Potpourri Friday! Linkup begins on Thursday afternoon. Hope you will come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Now this is a perfect bathroom.

    Love everything about it!

    ~Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. So charming! Sharing this at the party tonight- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love your bathroom! the soap dispenser has been a long standing "someday" project and now I HAVE to make a suicase shelf. SO CLEVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very pretty bathroom and I love the suitcase mounted to the wall--I want one too! I use some old suitcases as an end table, but that's not a new idea--yours is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You were highlighted today at Designer Gardens VIP party! What a fantastic idea, I just fell head over heals! Thanks for sharing =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/10/vip-party-34.html

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love the suitcase on the bathroom wall! Thanks for linking up last weekend, I'll be featuring this project and hope you stop back again this weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wonderful ... may we copy this wonderful idea? Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you Sandra. You are more than welcome to copy this suitcase shelf idea. Please link back if you post about your suitcase shelf so I can see how cool it looks. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I featured your Suitcase Shelf on my blog today! Love the idea - pinned it too!

    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/home/decor-accents/20-diy-vintage-suitcase-decorating-ideas/

    ReplyDelete
  44. I noticed that your shower tiles doesn't go with the whole beach style. Maybe use some more blue and other accent pieces so you can have the whole theme that you wanted. It does look great, though! :) Just spruce things up a little more.

    Kip Whitehead

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the shower and the suitcase shelf is really clever. Thanks for sharing at Throwback Thursday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...