Saturday, July 9, 2011

A Good and Bad Estate Sale Day

To start off with the good part of today's estate sale finds; This is an early 1900's Japanese ceramic plate. The pattern is typical blue and white but in an Art Deco style. It is marked "Nippon" on the back.

I also found this hobby case. It it made from oak and has multiple drawers to hold tiny parts. I plan to store buttons and costume jewelry bits in the drawers. {The drawers are lined with felt and there is a flat panel that can either be lifted up to cover all of the drawers or left open at the bottom as a work surface. This was another one of those super-heavy treasures that I had to carry to my car. OMG this thing was heavy!}

I found two silver trays. The oval one is marked "Waverley by Wallace 9592, Silverplate, Made in USA" and the round one is labeled "Castleton International Silver Company 4872". They are both in beautiful condition.

At one estate sale I found lots of floral frogs of all shapes and sizes. I bought only a few that can be used as paper holders. The largest round one is 4 1/2" wide.

These are inexpensive costume jewelry pieces but I loved the pink and teal pearl colors and the rhinestone earrings. These will be used for a future project.


And the bad part of today was that we had trouble with three cars; my car battery died, Dear Handyman's water pump went out and my son's distributor cap malfunction all in the same day! Luckily these events happened at slightly different times so we were able to fix one problem before the next problem occured.

20 comments:

  1. i hate car trouble...had that happen on Thursday so I bought a new car yesterday! love the silver trays and frogs! At least it was a fruitful hunting for bargains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hobby case is lovely!

    <3Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!
    http://LetsGoThrifting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, you got some stunning things. I'm so so jealous of the hobby case, it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things happen in threes so you should be good for awhile, having gotten them all out of the way in one day. I LOVE the look of the jewelry spilling out of the piece of silver. I also wondered wht the oak chest (tool box) cost you. I only ask because I have one too that I ordered from a catelog and I think it was about $100. I use it for jewelry also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pearls and gorgeous photos.

    J.
    http://adimpleate.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that hobby desk is so interesting! never seen anything like it. so sorry to hear about your car troubles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Nippon plate is beautiful! My kitchen is that color blue it would be on my wall! Sorry about the car trouble. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds! Love the hobby case. I bet that will come in handy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your 'hobby case' is an oak, machinist tool chest, and it looks to be a nice one. Often some of the drawers are lined in felt. Are yours?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with other commenters here - that hobby case is gorgeous...what a find!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man I hate car trouble, glad you got them fixed :) That work case is an outstanding piece! whew I'd love that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That hobby case is totally sweet! What fun you will have filling that up.

    Also love those silver trays; they are beautiful. You found some great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to find a nice oak box like yours someday.
    lucky you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. All your things are great finds. I really like that oak case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Something about oak that I just love. Beautiful wood grain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness, the chest with all the drawers is amazing! Perfect for jewelry and button collections! I have some of the flower frogs like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've got some of my favorite things there... the silver and frogs are fabulous. Love the photo where you have the jewelry in the silver. Thanks so much for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you found some really wonderful thrifty treasures! They are all gorgeous. Sorry about all the car trouble. That is how it alway seems to happen. Thank you for joining TTF and have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great things from the estate sale, it sort of takes the "bad" out of a bad day! thanks for linking up with VIF, xo Debra

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...