Thursday, July 7, 2011

Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop - Travel

Welcome to the Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop for the month of July. This month's theme is Travel or Vacation. I chose to highlight the fact that every day is part of a journey that we travel.

So I'm a little late posting because my Travel project was set up at the office. It is a vignette to welcome someone who always encourages crafters to "Enjoy the Journey".


I used an old suitcase and filled it with vintage items one might use on their travels. There is an old camera, binoculars, alarm clock, maps and postcards.

Along the back of the suitcase I created a bunting design using the Paper Rosette die and old, tea dyed seam binding.

In front of the suitcase, I used a page from an old atlas and printed directly onto the page. I adhered it to a piece of Grunge Paper and then die cut the word "Journey". To hold this, I used an old floral frog.


Because this was a "Welcome" display, I added vintage alphabet blocks and used silver sugar bowl lids (see example here) to hold letters of our guest's name. I used alcohol inks and Tissue Tape to embellish the clear acetate letters.


Besides having so much fun designing this display, I had an absolutely fabulous day learning new techniques from our guest, Tim Holtz.


Thank you for sharing the journey Tim!

Please use the Designers Craft Connection Blog Hop button to the right to see what other projects the wonderful designers have created.

I am honored to be featured at:

This is linked to:
504 Main, All Thingz RelatedBetween Naps on the Porch, Brambleberry CottageCherished TreasuresChic on a Shoestring, Coastal CharmCommon Ground, Finding FabulousFrench Country CottageFrugalicious Me, Homemaker on a Dime, I'm Topsy TurvyInspiring Creations, It's a Very Cherry WorldJust a Girl, Keeping it Simple, Life Made LovelyLovely Crafty Home, Making the World CuterMarvelously MessyMy Romantic Home, Passionately Artistic, Rook No. 17Running With Glitter, Savvy Southern StyleSimply Designing, Skip to My Lou, Sugar Bee CraftsSumo's Sweet Stuff, Tales from BloggeritavilleTatertots & Jello, The DIY Home Sweet Home ProjectThe DIY Showoff, The Girl CreativeThe Shabby Nest, The Southern InstituteTruly Lovely, Type A and What Allie's Making Now

18 comments:

  1. Looks great! I love the letters!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking everywhere for such beautiful suitcases, I love what you did with them.
    Hugs,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynda, this is just fantastic, I'm crazy about old suitcases and your display is so welcoming and unique. Thanks so much for linking up with VIF!
    xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! caught my eye out of all the rest in the links

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Now I KNOW to pick up those vintage suitcases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing idea!!! I do craft shows, and this would be such a great idea for a display! Guess I'll be checking Craigslist for vintage suitcases! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is just way cool! What a wonderful welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so cute! Why don't you stop by thesodaparlor.blogspot.com and share it on "Sundae Shake Up" Link Party. I'm sure everyone there would love to see this especially since it is a vintage based themed Link Party!

    Can't wait to see you there!

    Jacque @ Jacque's Soda Parlor

    thesodaparlor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never fail to amaze me and draw me into the cuteness and wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great project. I really love assemblage art. I've found so many interesting link parties and blog hops from your post here. I'm following your blog now. Thanks so much. Lola at Buddhatropolis.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. All things vintage always catch my eye!

    GIVE ME RED RIBBON

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not yellow or purple or green;
    But burgundy, chestnut, carmine or rose—
    These are the colors with sheen!

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not saffron or opal or blue;
    But fuchsia, magenta, ruby or blush—
    Something of sanguinous hue!

    Give me red ribbon to tie in my hair,
    Not indigo, azure or grey;
    But scarlet, vermilion, dahlia or pink—
    Colors like these make my day!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Narrow Red Alley

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic job you did.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that whole vignette, and the bunting that you created!
    Happy REDnesday,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop became the coolest party on the block because of your participation :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! I really like all the vintage treasures and that die cut map is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, what a great experience, and how cool that you got to work with Tim Holtz! I love your suitcase vignette. Every element is so thoughtfully arranged and choreographed. I'm particularly smitten with the bunting that you made!

    Thank you so much for sharing your creativity on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." Tuesday at Rook No. 17.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...