Saturday, July 13, 2013

Thrifting on a Budget

Maybe "thrifting on a budget" is a bit redundant but I need to keep reminding myself of this fact. Imagine you're holding something in your hand that you may never, ever have the opportunity to purchase again and there is a crush of buyers hovering all around you... what to do??? Buy it now and justify it later? Walk away and always think of it as the one that got away? I have no answer to this one except that I'm trying to thrift on a budget.

My favorite find today is this Pyrex, yellow Polka Dot bowl. Summer sunshine on a bowl!
And how could I resist more vintage Christmas ornaments with these awesome old tree toppers?
Also found a few old Smalls. I love old silk and velvet flowers.
Found a couple of old soda bottles from a man who had dug these out of a drained lake bed. The are old and dirty but I thought the Dad's Rootbeer bottle would be great for a Father's Day display and the KIST bottle could be used for a Valentine's display.
Vintage Poppin' Fresh salt and pepper shakers.
This is a heavy, metal flower frog in the shape of a turtle.
And today's mystery find is a handful of curved 24" wooden rulers. I think they were used in dress making to measure from the waist through the curve of the hips. I just couldn't resist a handful of wooden curved rulers.
So I stayed on budget and had a grand day of treasure hunting.

Hope everyone had a great day of thrifting. I'll be putting some of these items in my Stuff to Treasure store so please check it out.

6 comments:

  1. What to do??? I know the feeling, Lynda ...! :-)

    Wonderful items you found today! The wooden rulers are awesome(!) I didn't even know such rulers exist (but just visited Google.com and found some similar ones!)

    Have a great weekend!

    *SMILES* from sunny Denmark //Lisbet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have never seen rulers like those before. Absolutely love them. Now I have to watch out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am pretty sure you're right about the rulers being used in dressmaking. I believe they are used to measure on any curve. Pretty cool to find them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome finds. I wouldn't have any buyer's remorse with those scores, especially the Poppin' Fresh salt and pepper shakers. Too cute. I've been mindful of thrift spending too, especially since Goodwill seems to have raised their prices.

    My policy is based on the quality and rarity of the item vs. the cost. If I hold it in my hand or put it in my cart and think that I could put it back, I do. Otherwise, it's coming home with me!

    <3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!
    http://LetsGoThrifting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to think about whether I would be willing to pay full price for whatever I'm about to buy at the thrift store (if money was no object)... it helps me decide if I absolutely love it or if I'm just buying it because it's cheap! You got some great stuff -- I'm swooning over that Pyrex bowl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...