Sunday, October 20, 2013

Recycled Crow

Sometimes a creative thrifter has a vision of an object's potential that only they can see. Such is the case with my Recycled Crow.

I am working on my Halloween display and added my recycled crow. I first found the tattered crow at Goodwill back in March. The original photo below shows that it was kind of sad looking. The wings looked really bad and it was missing its tail but it had Halloween potential.





All Summer I searched for crow feathers in my neighborhood. My neighbors would ask what I was going to do with them and I told them that I was building a crow... eventually they stopped asking.

I learned a little about bird anatomy in the process. I also found beautiful parrot, dove, duck, blue jay and mockingbird feathers during the Summer. To get rid of any possible bugs, I placed the feathers in a sealed plastic bag and left them in the freezer for a few days. Someone suggested that I spray them with hairspray but I thought that the freezer might be an environmentally better solution.

Here is a better view of the Before feathers...
And here is the After feathers photo. 

I think that my recycled crow has added a nice touch to my Halloween display but I still have a lot more to do before it is complete.

This is linked to:

1 comment:

  1. Great job! That really took some determination, and he turned out very cool looking.
    Happy Halloween!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...