Monday, June 4, 2012

Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop - Father's Day

Welcome to the Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop for the month of June. This month's theme is either Picnic or Father's Day. My project is a Father's Day picnic.

I've been spending a lot of time at race tracks lately so I decided to design a race-themed picnic which works well as a Father's Day picnic. I began by rethinking the typical picnic basket and used a toolbox {new and clean} instead. I filled it with all kinds of picnic goodies.


The tablecloth sets the theme with two yards of checkered fabric.
The Thermos bottle was thrifted and came with the red plastic food box that I filled with sandwiches.
The bottle with the spoon contains individual desserts of fresh red strawberries, white vanilla yoghurt and blueberries for a little patriotic flair. I tied a spoon to each jar using red tuille netting.
I used the tire tread stamp by Tim Holtz to create the napkin rings. I stamped permanent black ink on remnants of painter's tarp that I had left over from this project then unraveled the edges a bit. I wrapped this around the rolled red napkins and attached vintage red buttons.
Because there needed to be something healthy in this picnic meal, I filled an old, thrifted glass salt cellar with colorful vegetables as tasty snacks.
I wanted a centerpiece for this table although I probably wouldn't need one on a real racetrack picnic. I used a glass floral frog as the base and inserted dowels with "race flags". You can make a game out of guessing what each flag means.
And a regular ice chest just wouldn't go with this thrifted picnic theme. Instead I used an old galvanized floral bucket filled with ice to keep the drinks cold.
How much fun would it be for any father to be surprised with a picnic lunch packed inside a tool box! It brings a new meaning to the saying "Think outside the box". I hope you enjoyed my Father's Day picnic ideas.

Please use the Designers Craft Connection blog hop button on the right sidebar to continue to see some amazing designers' projects.

5 comments:

  1. Love this!
    Love the "tool box" picnic basket!
    Awesome Job,
    Ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! It's really cool!
    Greetings from DK...! :-)
    //Lisbet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and clever twist on the picnic basket! Bravo! :0)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...