Tuesday, March 6, 2012

12 Tags of 2012 - Retro Flower Power Tag of March

This is the second tag challenge for Tim Holtz's 12 Tags of 2012. I was so excited to start working on the new tag. You can see the inspiration piece on his blog here.

Tim's tag looked like it was inspired by the beginning of Spring, I decided to do a Retro Flower Power version for my tag. As always, I tried to use as many thrifted or vintage items as possible.
I first cut the tag out of cardstock using the Sizzix Tag and Bookplates die. I also cut some butterflies out of the recycled clear die packaging using the Mini Butterflies Set. The flowers are all vintage thrifted earrings with their backings cut off.

I first stamped the words using archival black ink. Next, I used Distress Inks in Peeled Paint, Dusty Concord and Stormy Sky and rubbed them on a Non-stick Craft Sheet then lightly spritzed water across all of the colors. I pulled my tag across the inks until I liked how it looked. While the inks were wet, I quickly sprinkled salt across the surface. The salt causes a resist effect with the water and when the ink dries there is a subtle but interesting texture.
Salt on the surface
After the ink dries and the salt is completely brushed away
Another example of the salt effect on the ink

You can experiment and get other effects. It tends to look better on darker inks. This is my attempt at a tie-dye effect for my retro tag.

Next I used Alcohol Inks on the clear butterflies. I always like to make my butterflies as symmetrical as possible. I applied the Alcohol Ink on one side and Silver Mixative on the opposite side so that they would not blend.
The butterfly on the right shows the alcohol ink side up. The one in the middle shows the mixative side up. The one on the left is folded for added dimension.

I began assembling the tag by adhering the Film Strip Ribbon and butterflies to the tag using Glossy Accents. I used the Film Strip ribbon as a "trellis" to visually support my flower. Next, I used a glue gun to adhere the flowers.

I used a thrifted piece of vintage Rayon seam binding for the ribbon. I laid it on the Craft Sheet and rubbed the Peeled Paint Distress Ink pad across it. Then I crunched it up and used it to wipe up any excess ink on the Craft Sheet. This created the wrinkled, distressed look on the ribbon. 

I'm having a great time playing in the Studio. 

This is linked to:


  1. Love your tag - the vintage flower pins are perfect and your butterflies kind of dreamy looking! Thanks for posting how you did it - I want to play around, too, for some cards I'm making!

  2. Very pretty tag! I love your delicate butterflies! <3 Candy

  3. How fun. I love the idea of the filmstrip as a trellis! Love the background and that great flower!! I love that you used alcohol ink for the butterflies too!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...