Sunday, May 15, 2011

No-Calorie Birthday Cake

My birthday is coming up so I decided to make a no-calorie birthday cake.

Of course the cake is made of fabric and bits of lace so besides being no-calorie it also has no-taste.

My self-challenge was to use only thrifted items but it still needed to look like a piece of cake. The "icing" is made from satin ribbon and trim so it appears smooth and creamy. The "white cake" is lace so it has a porous cake texture. The "filling" is pink trim so it appears more dense.
This was a fun, simple project using all thrifted items including tatted, handmade lace. I plan to use this as a pin cushion.

This is linked to:
504 MainA Little Knick KnackBetween Naps on the Porch, Blue Creek HomeBlue Cricket Designs, Brambleberry Cottage,  Cherished Treasures, Chic on a ShoestringCoastal Charm, Common GroundCreating a House of GraceCreative Everyday, FaveCraftsFrench Country Cottage,  I'm Topsy Turvy, Inspiring Creations,  It's a Very Cherry WorldKeeping It Simple, Making the World CuterMarvelously Messy, My Backyard Eden, My Romantic HomeMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia, Paisley Passions,  Passionately Artistic,  Running With Glitter, Savvy Southern StyleSew Can Do, Simply DesigningSinging three Little Birds, Skip to My Lou, Someday Crafts, Somewhat SimpleSunburnt Cow, Tales from BloggeritavilleThe Girl Creative, The Shabby Chic Cottage, The Shabby NestThe Thrifty HomeThe Trendy Treehouse, Very Merry Vintage Style and What Allie's Making Now

23 comments:

  1. That is wonderful. You did a great job with your cake making.
    That is the kind of cake I need to have in my house. I am a cake lover

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. I'm not really into crafts but this "cake" is one of the coolest things EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. You are just giving me this GREAT TREAT. :=-)

    Come link it up with us. We have a number of themed craft/diy linky parties. I hope you choose the Mothers Day-theme party so that I can feature your idea for mothers day next year... ;-)

    Find the parties here:
    http://www.finecraftguild.com/craft-party/

    Have a lovely creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! This is very pretty - I love all the details you put into it. Saw this over at Marvelously Messy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. complete and total sweetness. TFS

    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete
  6. the cake is absoute great! love the pink and the laces very much! warm wishes and a creative week! di
    ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You fooled me. I was ready to have a big slice with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! Happy Rednesday. Mine is up.

    Mine is here

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great idea! man that looks yummy, the best and least dangerous cake to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project! I was drooling and then realized what it really is...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! What a fun project. Thanks so much for linking to my Share the Love Link Party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. It DOES look good enough to eat (at first glance)!

    DID SOMEONE MENTION SCARLET?

    Did someone mention scarlet
    Or was it red I heard?
    Perhaps it was a varlet
    Or a vermilion bird
    That shouted out the color
    That’s dearest to my heart.
    (It makes me feel much duller
    If red is not a part.)


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


    Rusty Red Reflection

    ReplyDelete
  13. How creative is that??? I love all of the pretty lace and trims.
    Thanks for linking to Treasure Hunt Thursday.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this! A large slice and a cup of tea please! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! I made some fabric faux cakes a while back too. Yours turned out great!
    Hugs,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's really cute. I love the trim for frosting between the layers along with the scalloped trim along the top edge. Amazing how good you can make something with thrifted items. Thanks for sharing with us and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How super cute! Your little no calorie cake is darling! So creative and wonderful that you were able to use thrifted items as well. Thank you for linking up to FNF this week and sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Browsing the internet, and found you, LOVE this beautiful cake :) really cool idea

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is one of the prettiest faux food crafts I've ever seen! I so need a sewing machine! I miss being able to just whip something like this up! It's been so long since I last used one, I hope I still know what to do! Found you linked up to My Romantic Home's Show & Tell Friday!
    Now Following!

    ~Mikey @ Shabby French Cottage
    www.shabbyfrenchcottage.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this is so pretty! I love how elegant it looks. It almost looks realistic, too, because of the thought you put into each layer. I'm glad you can use it as a pin cushion cuz it would be too pretty to put out of sight.

    Happy b-day, by the way.

    Thanks so much for linking up at the Sunburnt Cow. I featured you over at All Thumbs Crafts.

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...